1. Discuss Qui Tam Lawsuits.
2. Differentiate between the intranet and the extranet.
3. Summarize and discuss the differences between internal and external whistleblowers.
4. Discuss when whistle-blowing is ethical and when it is unethical.
5. Discuss vicarious liability and cyber-liability. List the top categories of litigation of cyber-liability.
6. Discuss the term whistle-blower. Give an example of a whistle-blower.
7. Compare the employer and employee positions on electronic monitoring at the workplace.
8. What steps can be taken to create an ethical culture that is sustainable?
9. Discuss the qualities of transparency.
10. Discuss the difference between reactive and proactive ethical policies.
11. Explain the differences between thin and thick consent.
12. Discuss how many positive promises of the new technology used in our everyday work environment have been overshadowed by concerns over loss of privacy in two key areas.
13. Discuss the similarities between George Orwell’s 1984 and the current debate over employees’ right to privacy in the workplace.
14. What can a well written code of ethics do?
15. Discuss what each department of the organization can do to support the organization’s published code of ethics.
16. What factors can make a whistleblower lose legitimacy in the eyes of viewers?
17. Explain the differences between the Whistleblower Protection Act of 1989 and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 in regards to whistleblowers.
18. One could argue that whistleblowers provide an invaluable service to their organizations and to the general public. The discovery of illegal activities before the situation is revealed to the media could potentially save organizations millions of dollars in fines and lost revenue from the inevitable damage to their corporate reputation. However, in contrast to the general perception that whistleblowers are brave men and women putting their careers and personal lives at in order to “do the right thing,” some feel that whistleblowers are motivated by money or personal egos. Student responses will vary on the second part of the question.
19. Discuss the consequences of ignoring a whistle-blower.
20. Discuss Organizational integrity.